Welcome to my proofreading service!
Having completed a BA and two MAs, I have produced a considerable amount of my own academic writing and am well acquainted with the requirements and conventions. I hold a Diploma in Editing and Proofreading from the Centre of Excellence. I care deeply about the English language and employ a professional and friendly approach in helping students and researchers to present work that is as clear, authoritative and elegant as possible. I also enjoy learning about all sorts of different topics!
I am available for the following proofreading assignments:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate essays and dissertations
- Doctoral theses
- Journal articles and research papers
- Blogs and reports
- Non-fiction books and book chapters
The proofreading service includes:
- Correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation and typing errors.
- Ensuring consistency of tenses, capitalisation and formatting.
- Identifying missing words and incomplete sentences.
- Highlighting passages where the meaning is unclear due to language/grammar.
- Identifying overlong sentences and paragraphs and suggesting how they could be made more manageable.
- Making suggestions as to the smooth integration of quotations and secondary reading.
- Checking the numbering and alignment of illustrations and diagrams.
- Identifying colloquialisms and lapses in academic style and language.
I am available for follow-up questions and I can provide a summary of any recurring issues to aid you in the development of your writing practice.
Please note that the service does not include:
- Fact checking and cross-referencing.
- Developing your content or argument, rewriting your work, or suggesting changes to the structure.
- Increasing or reducing the word count to meet the assessment criteria.
- Implementing a reference system.
- A read through after you implement your changes. However, I can provide this for an additional fee.
Important note: I use Track Changes and Comments in Word to make corrections and suggestions for you to implement as you see fit. The implementation process often takes longer than expected, especially if you have a number of passages that require clarification. Please keep this in mind, along with time required for printing, binding etc., when deciding on your timeframe.
I charge per 1,000 words and rates depend on the word count, turnaround time and level of intervention required.
If this is something I can help you with, please get in touch here. Please tell me about your subject, the word count, your schedule and deadlines and proposed turnaround time. I will also require a sample of your writing. I will provide a fixed-rate fee based on this information.
For Terms and Conditions, click here.
I used Julia’s services for my MSc dissertation. She was extremely professional in both her approach and manner. She was very clear about how she could help as a proofreader and therefore the type of support she could provide. Julia was able to work to tight deadlines and this did not affect the quality of the work I received, which was very detailed and comprehensive. She helped me improve the tone and language used within my dissertation. I highly recommend Julia to others who are looking for proofreading services.
– Olivia, Spatial Planning MSc, UCL
I used Julia’s services to proofread an article for a peer-reviewed journal. She is great to work with as she is extremely knowledgeable within this field. As I was not confident in my academic writing skills, Julia’s vast experience helped shape my writing. With her attention to detail, she produced a constructive review of my writing, correcting grammar and punctuation as well as discouraging the use of colloquialisms. She helped steer the paper to achieve the correct tone for this particular journal. I highly recommend Julia as her approach is both timely and professional.
– Dorothy, contributor to Quilt Studies
I thoroughly recommend Julia’s proofreading service. The comments and suggestions offered provided just the right touch for my PhD critical thesis and gave me some much-needed confidence just weeks before submission. Her feedback was thorough and perceptive and she was able to work to a tight deadline. I will undoubtedly be needing her help again in the future.
– Ashley Hickson-Lovence, Creative Writing PhD, UEA
Julia is very friendly to talk to, and you can expect a very quick response. She understood my requirements and finished the proofreading work efficiently. My deadline was a little bit tight and she still finished it in time! Strongly recommend her to those who expect to receive messages and documents in a short time. Her proofreading work is definitely professional.
– Echo, Environmental Science MSc, University of Toronto
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Your work will be stored on my password-protected computer and I will not share any part of it without your express permission. If you would like me to delete your files after completing the project, please let me know.
- I will require your address for invoicing purposes.
- A non-refundable booking fee of 50% of the total fee is required to reserve your place on my schedule. The outstanding 50% is due within 28 days of the work being completed. Payment is due in £ GBP by bank transfer.
- The client is required to pay any bank charges that may occur (I will provide a copy of the transfer receipt should that happen).
- It is your responsibility to check whether your academic institution permits the use of a proofreader. If your institution has specific rules about proofreading, please send them to me before I start work and they will take precedence over my own guidelines.
- I take no responsibility for the mark/grade that you are awarded by your educational institution for your project, nor can I provide any guarantee that your work will be accepted for publication.