Welcome to my proofreading service!
Having completed a BA and two MAs, I have produced a considerable amount of my own academic writing and am well acquainted with the requirements and conventions. I hold a Diploma in Editing and Proofreading from the Centre of Excellence. I care deeply about the English language and employ a professional and friendly approach in helping students and researchers to present work that is as clear, authoritative and elegant as possible. I also enjoy learning about all sorts of different topics!
I am available for the following proofreading assignments:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate essays and dissertations
- Doctoral theses
- Journal articles and research papers
- Blogs and reports
- Non-fiction books and book chapters
The proofreading service includes:
- Correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure and typing errors.
- Ensuring consistency of tenses, capitalisation and formatting.
- Identifying missing words and incomplete sentences.
- Highlighting passages where the meaning is unclear due to language/grammar.
- Identifying repetition and overlong sentences and paragraphs and suggesting how they could be made more manageable.
- Checking the numbering and alignment of illustrations and diagrams.
- Identifying colloquialisms and lapses in academic style and language.
I am available for follow-up questions and I can provide a summary of any recurring issues to aid you in the development of your writing practice.
Please note that the service does not include:
- Re-writing your work.
- Fact checking and cross-referencing.
- Developing your content or argument or making changes to the structure.
- Increasing or reducing the word count to meet the assessment criteria.
- Implementing a reference system.
- A read through after you implement your changes. However, I can provide this for an additional fee.
Important note: I use Track Changes and Comments in Word to make corrections and suggestions for you to implement as you see fit. The implementation process often takes longer than expected, especially if you have a number of passages that require clarification. Please keep this in mind, along with time required for printing, binding etc., when deciding on your timeframe.
I charge per 1,000 words and rates depend on the word count, turnaround time and level of intervention required.
If this is something I can help you with, please get in touch here. Please tell me about your subject, the word count, your schedule and deadlines and proposed turnaround time. I will also require a sample of your writing. I will provide a fixed-rate fee based on this information.
For Terms and Conditions, click here.
I used Julia’s services for my MSc dissertation. She was extremely professional in both her approach and manner. She was very clear about how she could help as a proofreader and therefore the type of support she could provide. Julia was able to work to tight deadlines and this did not affect the quality of the work I received, which was very detailed and comprehensive. She helped me improve the tone and language used within my dissertation. I highly recommend Julia to others who are looking for proofreading services.
– Olivia, Spatial Planning MSc, UCL
I used Julia’s services to proofread an article for a peer-reviewed journal. She is great to work with as she is extremely knowledgeable within this field. As I was not confident in my academic writing skills, Julia’s vast experience helped shape my writing. With her attention to detail, she produced a constructive review of my writing, correcting grammar and punctuation as well as discouraging the use of colloquialisms. She helped steer the paper to achieve the correct tone for this particular journal. I highly recommend Julia as her approach is both timely and professional.
– Dorothy, contributor to Quilt Studies
I thoroughly recommend Julia’s proofreading service. The comments and suggestions offered provided just the right touch for my PhD critical thesis and gave me some much-needed confidence just weeks before submission. Her feedback was thorough and perceptive and she was able to work to a tight deadline. I will undoubtedly be needing her help again in the future.
– Ashley Hickson-Lovence, Creative Writing PhD, UEA
Julia is very friendly to talk to, and you can expect a very quick response. She understood my requirements and finished the proofreading work efficiently. My deadline was a little bit tight and she still finished it in time! I strongly recommend her to those who expect to receive messages and documents in a short time. Her proofreading work is definitely professional.
– Echo, Environmental Science MSc, University of Toronto
I used Julia’s services for my MA dissertation. My deadline was a little bit tight and she still finished it highly efficiently. Julia pointed out inappropriate references in my dissertation and corrected my vocabulary to make my dissertation more readable which is a huge help for a non-native speaker. She is a very professional proofreader, undoubtedly! At the same time, Julia is a very friendly person. Although we have never met, she always expresses her understanding in emails, which makes me feel warm and confident. Finally, I would like to thank Julia very sincerely and I would be happy to recommend her to anyone who is looking for a proofreader.
– Shuyan, History of Design MA, RCA
Julia has provided an excellent service throughout the final stages of my PhD. Julia was very patient, particularly when I required more time in making amendments. I highly recommend Julia and will certainly be looking to use her proofreading services in the future.
– Lorna, Creative and Cultural Industries PhD, University of Portsmouth
Julia is a very kind person and I do really recommend her!
– Parlin, International Political Economy MSc, KCL
Julia proofread the literature review for my PhD. She was really accommodating regarding timings and very professional. English is my second language, so her attention to detail was key to sharpening my text. I will use Julia’s services for all the work that I need to submit for my doctoral studies, and I would highly recommend her.
– Iria, History of Design PhD candidate, RCA
Julia helped me so much with the hard task of reducing the word count and proofreading an article for me. She was very generous, quick and managed to tidy my work in a sophisticated way. Thank you so much! I highly recommend Julia!
– Paula, artist
Julia was very helpful and professional in proofreading my BA dissertation and some my termly essays. We worked through tight deadlines and large-scale writing assignments, and Julia was very helpful and thorough in her comments and changes. Julia helped with grammatical mistakes, formatting, as well a suitable phrasing and word choice. I highly recommend Julia, especially for those looking to iron out mistakes in their writing.
– Victoria, History of Art BA, UCL
Julia proofread my first year PhD work. She was very quick to respond and delivered faster than expected. She provided high-quality work with track changes that were easy to follow and understand! I would strongly recommend her services to anyone who needs it.
– Pinyuan, East Asian Studies PhD candidate, University of Sheffield
I often rely on Julia’s skills and professional service. She possesses the quality that can make your piece of writing shine like a well-polished veneer inlay panel and I cannot thank her enough for the thorough work, precision and boundless reliability she has provided on countless occasions. On top of that, she’s also a lovely person and this is something that definitely adds to the quality of her spotless service. Highly recommended.
– Lorenzo, founder of Fritz Fine Stationery
Julia edited my CV and cover letter. Very happy with her services. Professionally done, on time and on budget.
– Mariela, finance professional
Thank you very much for your suggestions and corrections to my dissertation. It has helped me a lot.
– Shu, Education MA, University of Sheffield
Thank you for the timely proofreading!
– Vera, English Literature MA applicant
I used Julia’s proofreading service for my MSc dissertation. My schedule was really tight but Julia could finish it in a very efficient way and provided me with follow up service. Really glad I found Julia for my proofreading.
– Christina, Sustainable Heritage MSc, UCL
Julia is so nice, careful and patient. She helped me a lot with my dissertation. I would definitely recommend her to my friends! Thank you Julia!
– Chang, Digital Humanities MA, KCL
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Your work will be stored on my password-protected computer and I will not share any part of it without your express permission. If you would like me to delete your files after completing the project, please let me know.
- I will require your address for invoicing purposes.
- A non-refundable booking fee of 50% of the total fee is required to reserve your place on my schedule. The second 50% is due within 28 days of the work being completed. Payment is due in £ GBP by bank transfer or PayPal.
- The client is required to pay any bank charges that may occur (I will provide a copy of the transfer receipt should that happen).
- It is your responsibility to check whether your academic institution permits the use of a proofreader. If your institution has specific rules about proofreading, please send them to me before I start work and they will take precedence over my own guidelines.
- I take no responsibility for the mark/grade that you are awarded by your educational institution for your project, nor can I provide any guarantee that your work will be accepted for publication.